The date 1716 is carved in stone at the entrance to the Palazzo in Positano, the year in which the palace became a bishop’s residence. Its foundation dates further back to the second half of the 17th century and the original project perfectly took into account the aesthetic canons of the time, inside as well as outside.
Its history as a religious residence is evoked in the spiritualized style of the structure and furnishings, as well as numerous detailed paintings of the battle of Lepanto, pride of the Holy League).
The precious interiors (rich in stuccos, vaults, marble, lacquered doors and other ornaments) and above all the elegant façade overlooking Positano with statues, loggia and
panoramic terraces and balconies are reminiscent of the Baroque style of that era.
Today, these characteristics give it a strong and distinguishing character in the town, as does its striking Pompeii red colour, greatly in vogue in the 18th century.
The Palace is located in the Li Parlati district of Positano where numerous other sumptuous villas were built, causing locals to call this zone “‘a via re case longhe”, or “the road of long houses” because of the large palaces that stood out in contrast
to the more common houses of the time.
In 1926, Eduard Gillhausen came to Positano to cure himself of a post-WW1 nervous breakdown he had suffered. A German from Hattingen and exponent of the art and design school called Bauhaus, he arrived with his lover Hedwig to start a new life.
They seemed to come out most especially at night; it is said that he could only be met
from sunset onwards, likely linked to his studies in astronomy and a passion for stargazing).
Don Eduardo, as the locals called him, settled in the Palazzo,
in love with the wonderful view, the peace of the place and with Eva Maria (in the meantime, she too had changed names).
Together they would host great icons of twentieth-century culture like
Pablo Picasso, John Steinbeck, Alberto Moravia and many others.
In 2003, the Palazzo passed to new owners who, over the course of four years, subjected the structure to a skillful restoration returning the villa to its original splendor.
Register now to receive information, photos and prices of the villa you like.